Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, April 10, 2014

Drugstore Dupe Alert: Better than the real thing?


Quick question for you:


Which shade do you prefer? They look pretty similar, right? But if you were forced to choose one, which would you pick?

Here's another shot of the exact same swatches, in slightly different lighting:

 photo 019-5.jpg

Personally, I'd go with the one on the right. It's a bit richer to me, and more wearable for my particular skintone. If YOU would also go with the shade on the right, then it's your lucky day:

 photo 022-4.jpg
Total Intensity by Prestige Eyeshadow in Bronze
vs.
Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Half Baked


 photo 018-7.jpg
Both swatches were swiped twice using my finger on bare skin (no primer)

On the eye, the Urban Decay shade is brighter and more golden. The Total Intensity shade is deeper, richer and more bronze-y. I prefer the Total Intensity shade for my particular skintone (NC20) and I also prefer the texture of the Total Intensity shade over the UD shade. To me, the Total Intensity eyeshadow is creamier, not as chunky and has less fallout. The pigmentation is also superb (just like the UD shade). And let's look at the value:

Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Half Baked retails for $18 (0.05 oz)
Total Intensity by Prestige True Metals Eyeshadow in Bronze retails for $9.75 (0.09 oz)

If you would like to see what Total Intensity Bronze looks like on my eyes (and my full review), CLICK HERE.

You can purchase Total Intensity by Prestige cosmetics at Rite Aid, Ulta, Kmart, Duane Reade and other retailers, as well as on the Prestige website. You can purchase Urban Decay Half Baked on the Urban Decay website and Sephora.

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.Blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews. For more information, click here.
The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.

SHARE:

30 comments

  1. I can't wait until the little local drugstore near me gets these because they often have BOGO free (as well as already discounted prices) on Prestige, and I love the MAC Club dupe and UD X almost dupe I have in the Total Intensity line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't consider them a dupe across the board. The one on the right is darker in color. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you might have missed what I wrote in this post? I mentioned that the Prestige is darker and I go into detail about the differences. :) As I mentioned, I think that, for me personally, the Prestige is actually the better color. Hope that clears it up!

      Delete
  3. I picked the right one too. It looked more pigmented and rich.

    I've got to check out the True Metals eyeshadows soon. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear I'm not alone in liking the Prestige one too! I think you will love it if you get it. :)

      Delete
  4. Great minds think alike, I was liking the right side shade too, it has a smoother look, like it might have less fallout, than the one on the left. Both are a bit too warm toned for me, but I can appreciate a good bronze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! And yes, it does have less fallout. :)

      Delete
  5. If anyone has a Fred Meyer nearby all the Prestige cosmetics are in the sale section. They replaced the prestige display with NYX. (at least at my store)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh, I chose the one on the left. I like how it's more champagne than gold. And it doesn't surprise me after seeing which shade it is, because I loooove Half Baked! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chose the one on the left too, haha. I also like half-baked, and it's a little lighter and fitting to my skin tone.

      Delete
  7. This might be a color like Half Baked that I can actually wear! Half Baked has always been way too warm and "true gold" on my skin (which I can't pull off), but the Prestige eyeshadow looks more suitable. Thanks for the comparison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome and I COMPLETELY agree with what you said about Half Baked. I've tried a zillion times but I can't make it work for me for the reasons you stated above. I think you will LOVE the Prestige. :)

      Delete
  8. I have and would still pick Half Baked. I like the slight pinky/peachy undertone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer the one on the right, however I own Naked 1 and 2 so I don't need another half baked lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely went for the one on the right :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like the shade on the right better!
    But if I'm honest, those two don't look like dupes to me, more like variations of the same shade, a yellow/peach gold vs a bronze/gold. It's like comparing red-blue lipstick to pinky-red, it's all about color preference!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Before you said which was which I preferred the shade on the right!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I chose the one on the right, too, for all the reasons you've mentioned in your post! I definitely need to check out these new Prestige eyeshadows.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry but I'm joining the small camp on the left ;)
    Half Baked is one of my most used shadows. While I still haven't hit pan on the one in my palette, I do use it so often that I went ahead and purchased a single so it can live in my makeup bag. I've made huge dents in both pans and have no doubt that I will finish them up at some point. And probably buy another. Don't get me wrong, the colour on the right is pretty, but it's just not my Half Baked. :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. lucky for me i prefer the color i already own (UD) but i agree that the prestige's texture looks better

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh this is perfect, I like Half Baked but I do wish it was a bit deeper and this Bronze fit perfectly! Already got my hand on Hocus Pocus, it's divine and the price is comfortable too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have and love Half Baked. As soon as I saw your swatches I knew the right was the Prestige dupe. I'm very impressed with how less "powdery" it is. I can't wait for my area to get this new line.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Half Baked, glad there's a "more reasonably priced" dupe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I preferred the one on the right, just based on looks. However, I can imagine that your own coloring will affect which of these you think will work best.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This post reeeeeally makes me want to buy them, but when I checked their website, they show carmine as an ingredient in ALL of them. I'm allergic to carmine! *(SOB!*)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig